John Huggins RWA (Hon)
1938 Born, Trowbridge, Wiltshire, UK.
1951 Educated at Kings School Bruton and taught by German sculptor Ernst Blensdorf.
1956 - 62 Student at the West of England College of Art, Bristol. NDD Hons awarded by sculptor Frank Dobson. College sculpture prize 1960 and 1961. ATD pass with distinctions in education and practice.
1962 Set up studio in Canynge Road. Bristol. First exhibition at Fimbarrus Gallery, Bath.
1963 Lecturer at West of England College of Art, later at Bristol Polytechnic and University of the West of England (UWE).
1964 Lecturer at Bath Academy of Art.
1967 Elected to Royal West of England Academy.
First London exhibition at Alwin Gallery.
1968 Set up new studio and home by restoring a disused pub in Box, Wiltshire.
1969 First of six bi-annual one man shows at the Alwin Gallery, London.
1971 Elected member Royal Society of British Sculptors.
1972 Travelled in USA - New Mexico, Mexico, New York.
1976 Moved studio to Marshfield, Wiltshire to work as a full time sculptor and set up a bronze foundry.
1977 A Commission for Bristol University, ‘Classic Flight’, unveiled by Dorothy Hodgkin.
1982 Relocated to Berkeley, Gloucestershire. Converted coach house and stables to accommodate a larger studio and foundry.
1989 Joined McHardy Sculpture Co, Butlers Wharf, London and also a number of private dealers and galleries.
1994 First European dealer - Geneva. Later the Hague.
1996 Elected to RWA council, subsequently serving as Honorary Secretary, Academicians’ Chairman and Senior Vice President. Numerous radio and TV interviews.
2006 Published a comprehensive illustrated Monograph - introduction by Ralph Brown RA.
2009 Retired from RWA council. Elected Honorary Vice President.